Random Map

| News | Forums | Downloads | Clans | Extras |   
www.wormscc.co.uk Bringing Clans Together   
FAQFAQ | SearchSearch | MemberlistMemberlist | UsergroupsUsergroups | RegisterRegister | ProfileProfile | Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages | Log inLog in
erm.. cpu selfJed itself, vFn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Worms Clan Council Forum Index -> Dark Matter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plutonic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the games industry recommend a CPU that has more cores than any system currently out? No game can be developed for it if the devs don't have them itself. At the most it would mean a PC with the same number of cores as an xbox, but the xbox keeps threads to itself anyway so we can't use them all. Seems pointless to me, I'd stick with the quad cores for now.

PigL3t
WCC SpaMMeR!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plutonic wrote:
Why would the games industry recommend a CPU [...]

the games and hardware industry is working hand in hand nowadays. games are developed for systems of tomorrow, perhaps to help selling more and newer hardware every day.

i wouldnt say and seriously doubt no game can be developed for a six-core cpu. but still... my post contained faint touch of irony Wink

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course games can be developed with 6 threads in mind, but they can't realy be tested properly untill we get the hardware. Most games still only run on one 1 or 2 cores anyway, even the quads are massivly under utilised as far as I can tell.

As for games and hardware working hand in hand? Maybe with the major middleware providers, but ive certainly never seen anyone from intel or amd come round with info on new CPU's. Best we had was someone from microsoft explain the PIX profiler.

Malevol3nt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plutonic wrote:
Of course games can be developed with 6 threads in mind, but they can't realy be tested properly untill we get the hardware. Most games still only run on one 1 or 2 cores anyway, even the quads are massivly under utilised as far as I can tell.

The CPU shouldn't be the bottleneck for games in the first place. In modern games the AI is still dumb as fuck, there's like zero interactivity in offline games, so why the fuck do you need like 17 cores for a game anyway? The GPU now comes with like a minimum of 1GB VRAM, it can access memory directly, etc etc. The CPU might as well go make some coffee while the GPU does all the work.

It's all a marketing trick, imho. The same shit as the introduction of 64bit CPUs in the mainstream market. People obsessed with huge number figures. I would rather be excited about software that works faster and uses a moderate amount of RAM.

Seems to me like the hardware engineers are busting their asses building something better and faster every other month, while the software devs are just lazy asses waiting for that new peace of hardware to come out and abuse all of it's resources whenever they can.

Hows my signature?
Call 1-800-Eat-Shit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Worms Clan Council Forum Index -> Dark Matter All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: