Random Map

| News | Forums | Downloads | Clans | Extras |   
www.wormscc.co.uk Bringing Clans Together   
FAQFAQ | SearchSearch | MemberlistMemberlist | UsergroupsUsergroups | RegisterRegister | ProfileProfile | Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages | Log inLog in
The Quiet Place
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Worms Clan Council Forum Index -> Dark Matter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: The Quiet Place Reply with quote

Back in the late 90s, on WWP, there was this clan..... the clan's name was n00b. In time, I joined this clan, where I quickly began learning how to rope better, as well as learn the difference in what made you a good player, and what made you a bad player. I also learned many things back then that not only applied to worms, but to life in general. The people in this clan were very nice, very helpful, and always willing to help when asked. The clan's motto comes to mind......

But anyway, life moved on, and the clan slowly fell apart due to misunderstandings and personal problems in the path of life. We all have those, after all. The clan offically disbanded around 2003-2004, when WA started becoming wildly popular again amonst the worm community.

I then went on a hiatus that lasted over a year. When I returned, XPS and I spoke, and in time, he arranged to get a copy of WA into my hands. Now, allow me to back up a bit. XPS and I have a history, some of it not so good. Before I was in n00b, XPS and I were both in a clan called PiG. Some of you may recall it. Also in the time of my playing in n00b, I knew a few DM members. So as PiG fell apart, I joined n00b, and XPS would eventually join the ranks of DM, as the PiG leaders (MainFrame and Gotenks) would also do much later. But my departure from PiG was in a big way influenced by XPS, and we later (about 5 months later) came to an understanding, and patched up our relationship.

Fast forward back to him sending me WA. It was then I learned of the color patch for WA (I was just returned from a year's hiatus, don't forget). After some weeks of relearning the ways of WA, I ran into some DM members. I had always had an interest in DM, which I can't quite explain, even to this day. Games were played, things revealed (Dan's bastardly deeds), and offers were extended to me to join DM. (I had been turned down before I joined n00b)

I accepted, and in time, I've come to better know the older players, and get acquainted with the newer ones. But as a very good friend of mine (pre-n00b and pre-PiG) often tried to point out to me, I had become very different in terms of how I used to play compared to now. At first I laughed at him, thinking he was just talking out his ass. But then I thought about it, and as it turns out, he was right. Before I had joined DM, I was very skilled (I hate to admit it, but this same friend offered me proof), and not at all full of myself. But after I joined, I became someone different, and it happened so slowly, I didn't even see it until I was hit right in the face with it this week.

Now, some of you may be offended by the previous paragraph, and I assure you, that's not at all my intent. I'm not saying my stay here in DM has been unpleasant; nothing of the sort. It's been very fun, especially with Gnork, Unit, and occasionally XPS and Bunny. But the mindset (or mentallity you could say) of this clan definately affected the way I played. And in my eyes, the mindset of this clan (at least lately, in the time I've joined) has been "I'm better than you and we all know it".

It was like this constant pressure to always be the best, no matter who you played against. And IMO, pressure is bad. It completely took away from my enjoyment of a game I've spent many years playing.

Some of you may be tempted to say "Well, it's just a game". And you would be right, it is. But it's how you play the game that matters, not who wins. Thus, the n00b motto: "Style above all; death before dishonor". And as I said above, the mindset in DM seemed, to me at least, that winning is most important. In light of my recent realisation of this, I must submit my resignation in clan DM.

I feel that this is the right decision for me, but I realise some of you may see this in different lights and have different solutions. But each man, at the end of the day, must walk his own path, and I think the time has come for me to part from the path of DM.

All said and done, my stay was enjoyable, even if I made it seem otherwise in this post. I want to thank each one of you for the fun times and GGs. May all of you have many more!

-King

Last edited by King on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Worm-Unit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
King

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmk, I updated the post.
Dragons

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well king i cant say i dont see some of the things you talk about but my motto has always been life is what you make of it if you feel that being in DM has made you into something u dont wanna be thats the view point you've chosen but i digress this clan and its enjoyment of gameplay is what i joined for and as long as they remain DM is my home. sorry to hear that your leaving but if its what you want to do its your choice cya and if your ever looking for soe bs fun times like back in the old days im always around

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gnork
WCC SpaMMeR!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Quiet Place Reply with quote

King wrote:
And in my eyes, the mindset of this clan (at least lately, in the time I've joined) has been "I'm better than you and we all know it".

What made you give this idea? You really should know that nobody is better than any other person on this planet, we are all the same, making the same mistakes now and then.

If you think worse of yourself it's your own problem, try to think different. Even Fagons knows better than this mindset of yours. Wink You are a good person and have the same chances/rights as anybody else on this planet should have.
(And if you think you're better than the rest, well then go spin on this .,/,, cz you really are not and you will find out sooner or later.)

"I'm better than you and we all know it" sounds very sarcastic and is a common attitude amongst some classes. It might sneak in easily as a joke but should always be seen completely the other way around. Meaning to disgust those classes and joke about it with their own stupidy. Because of course nobody is better than the rest. From my point of view thus answered with a big 'yeah FU2' accompanied by a bright smile on yer face, and together laughing away the misery of our destiny. If it ever makes you feel worse than others when somebody makes a sarcastic joke like that while in a game, then you have a problem (or that person just really knew how to get you by the balls, heheh).

At least that's what I think when I read/hear such things. Any person who would say he's better than the rest and mean it as well should be... erm... [insert punishment here].

Hoping you didn't get that idea from the players you mentioned, if you did you either misunderstood the sarcasm or unit should be [insert punishment here] :p While on it, give me sum too xD

Maybe you should play less wxw, cz I feel that 'i have to be the best / i am the best' attitude very strongly present in those games. That's why I don't like them too. Besides the boring graphics of most of those maps. -.-

From the moment I started to play WWP I've never played to win, but just to have fun with others and laugh about the hilarious things in Worms. And that's why I joined DM, because it has that same point of view. No leagues, no bs. That's why I like shoppers the most and surf too. No competitive races against each other, just funny mess on the screen to set your mind to something else for a moment. Everybody sux the same or is same good in the end (however you want to put it), and we just laugh about it and behave like [.,insert it,,] That's what games are for.

We did not abandon you. Take the finest horses from the stable and take the route you like - the world is in front of you. We love to play with you any time. You always know where to find us. DM for life Exclamation

CuntJ wrote:
and thats also cos the others have lives, except gnork of course... and im jealous Mad
DorkFOOT wrote:
boontit ya a wacked out on drugs fooker
another reason for me to be jealous Mad
Worm-Unit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, nice words fkn story tellers Cool just woke up so my brain kinda hurts but here it goes..

meh, shame to see ya leave King..hope i wasnt too hard on ya Wink
but really, i think you got it all wrong when ur talkin bout the mindset of DM..for me personally..in the beginning i always felt this pressure too u know..everybody being better than me, laughin at me..Justifying me xD becuz i was a damn nab, and still am Very Happy but after a while you understand the humor behind it, and the pressure in certain games is just too make ya fall or whatever, make ya play bad Twisted Evil and thats where fun comes lookin imo..like, whats funnier when BT smacks his worm against the wall., right? xD so a '' bl there ''..and a /anon Not! behind it is just sum funny shit..and nowadays, with lots of peeps i play on wormnet..they are starting to become a bit evil too..Vn this..sm0oth that Wink Imo its just awesome..laughin at eachother but no '' i am better than you'' attitude, cuz thats not my style, and from what i know no1 has that attitude in DM.if people call me no0b, i say yea i am..and i am Very Happy man i wouldnt give shit about what sum taco-eating motha*Peep* has to say, feel me ?xD
So i think its about what you make of it yourself..laughin at ur own bo0nism or stress yourself every turn trying to be teh l33tness itself.
Even at wxw's..its what you make of it yourself..gnork doesnt like it,becuz he's not really good at it.. ( .,l,, ) xD i didnt really like it either in the beginning, becuz i sucked at it too, but i just wanted to be on a certain level so i could enjoy wxw's with some more skilled people..so i trained, trained,and now im a skilled no0b at wxw Laughing and today im having the greatest fun playin wxw's...fallin almost every turn, but i dont care lol..its all about that 1 awesome turn Wink
And ofcourse we all have our grumpy days, where things just dont work out..but hey, thats life carnalito Smile
Im still not sure about your reasons tho, but whatever ur gonna do, do it go0d, do it smo0th and ill be expectin a big mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmA whenever i see you in Ag m8..and ofcourse a game or two. I enjoyed every fkn game we played and hope there will be plenty more, alltough u prolly wont be wearing teh l33t DM tag Rolling Eyes and i will be slapping your ass harder than before becuz of that, and you know it Wink hehehe

Peace out m8 \m/ Respect 4 life, and hope we meet again so0n :]

Unit.
PigL3t
WCC SpaMMeR!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a lot that i wanna say after reading ur post, king... the prob is i cant sort my thoughts. for several reasons im really mad about this part:
King wrote:
And in my eyes, the mindset of this clan (at least lately, in the time I've joined) has been "I'm better than you and we all know it". It was like this constant pressure to always be the best, no matter who you played against. And IMO, pressure is bad. It completely took away from my enjoyment of a game I've spent many years playing.

dont get me wrong mate, its nothing against you at all, im sad to see u leaving. its more about the so called worms "community", that ppl think things without knowing, that ppl talk about the things they think although they still dont know anything.

u dont describe the "mindset of DM"... you describe what others think DM might be like. and yes, that makes me sad.

PS: the second part of this post is a small part of the whole:
http://www.wormscc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2589

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOWOW Shocked I must say that I am totally surprised by this post and I am sorry that you feel that way King. When VAB started this clan and recruited me, the feeling was always that DM wasn't even a clan, but more like a "Gents Club" for friends to get together and to have some fun gaming, chatting and making fun of one another - just killing time (and each other. Surprised ) Why do you think that DM isn't part of tournaments and such? I know you can say that it is because we haven't been as active, but even at the DM's highest activity we didn't participate in these tournaments because it didn't mean anything to the "clan." Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is that your perception of DM is the furthest from the truth. I am sorry you see it that way, but it just isn't the way it is. Best of luck in your future endeavours King. Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King i will miss ya m8 and im sorry to hear that you never understood DM the clan that i call my own home.

How can anyone claim there better at playing a GAME than anyone else for my understanding of it is to have FUN and moan at arc or piggy for being flash git's at roping. i must say this in there defence THEY PLAY A FAIR GAME and i have my 30 sec's to kill them and marcus has his 31 sec's to kill me "hacker" Razz

i think you have been turnt from DM with someone whispering in ya ear filling ya head and clouding ya thoughts m8.

we dont need to be the best or even win every game for we play as FRIENDS not competitor's.

as boon said m8 hope you find peace m8 and hope to play ya in wa and if i ingnore ya remind me who you are for i have a very shit memory.

StaTich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a clan that doesn't even compete can be biased on winning? I mean, you guys don't even know the names of the leagues. Razz
King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I didn't "get the jokes", or someone has been "whispering in my head". It's just that for the reasons mentioned above, I feel this is the right move for me.
Gnork
WCC SpaMMeR!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King wrote:
It's not that I didn't "get the jokes", or someone has been "whispering in my head". It's just that for the reasons mentioned above, I feel this is the right move for me.

Your reasons are not understood, at least not by me and it seems not by some others as well. Would be nice if you'd try to explain in some different words to maybe enlighten our bo0n brains. Are you saying ppl on wormnet expect you to be the ultimate pro player when you join their games, because you have a DM tag? And you feel bad and pressure because you have the idea you can't match the standards they demand from you? And when they notice they go like "hey isn't DM a clan wich used to have far better players than you?" Is that it? Well Fuck Them dude, did you forget we just play for fun and not to win? I know, we live in a time where everybody on ag seems to only know one word, which is KTL. Those morons don't know the fuck what they are talking about, so if you feel pressure from them, Fuck Them <-- And if oldskool players bother you with this nonsense then they simple lag brain capacity to realize not everybody plays as much as others. Wake those bo0ns up instead of trying to comply to their stupid ideas about DM. Anyway - take care, and don't hesitate to join one of our games if you feel like it Wink

CuntJ wrote:
and thats also cos the others have lives, except gnork of course... and im jealous Mad
DorkFOOT wrote:
boontit ya a wacked out on drugs fooker
another reason for me to be jealous Mad
D3v1L

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, this post is hilarious...

Mindset?? DM doesnt even has a mindset... omg, we doesnt even has a leader... Laughing As BT said DM isnt even a clan, its a group of fun people playing for fun... and u doesnt even has to be good to join DM (look at me for example, or look at BT), the only thing u need to join DM is to have fun playing...

so i dont really get ur point, but anyway... hf and gl...

peace...

Blue Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D3v1L wrote:
lol, this post is hilarious...

Mindset?? DM doesnt even has a mindset... omg, we doesnt even has a leader... Laughing As BT said DM isnt even a clan, its a group of fun people playing for fun... and u doesnt even has to be good to join DM (look at me for example, or look at BT), the only thing u need to join DM is to have fun playing...

so i dont really get ur point, but anyway... hf and gl...

peace...

OF FK2U naaabv1L! Laughing
WCC SpaMMeR!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not reply yet, so here's my reply Smile

Your feeling of 'a mindset that is all about beeing the best' is totally wrong, like others said before me. This clan was never about winning or beeing the best, it was (and still is for us) all about fun.

Competition is never bad, but in the end it's still all about the fun factor.
To summarize the fun factor into a few words:
- .,|,,
- bt's nan
- gg Djoszee, you are such a god

Thanks for your understanding,
Djo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Worms Clan Council Forum Index -> Dark Matter All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: